Bulk import redirects
Whether you are moving to RebelMouse or if you are just managing the amount of 404s or errors on your site's business, bulk importing redirects helps you be more efficient and solve the errors that could be preventing you to have a great SEO (and a lot of users!)
Redirects are a way for telling browsers and search engines that your content has moved permanently (or temporarily). No more dead ends or lost visitors.
In this guide, we'll show you how to set up bulk 301 or 302 redirects with ease, keeping your web presence vibrant and user-friendly.
Before you start bulk importing redirects review here some of the terms and requirements to successfully do so:
File requirements and technical limits
All redirect files being imported into Rebelmouse must:
- Be a .csv, xml or json file.
- Have only one sheet.
- Include a header row in which each column header corresponds to a property in RebelMouse. The column headers can be organized in any order without affecting the import.
- Be UTF-8 encoded if foreign language characters are included.
The following properties are required on the file for you to be able to import a redirect, and must be included as columns headers in your files:
- old_url: should contain the original URL path that you want to redirect from.
- new_url: column should contain the URL path or Full URL that you want to redirect to.
- If you want to redirect for an internal resource the path would be enough, if you would like to redirect to an external URL then you need to write the entire path of new destination
- code: column should contain either 301 for a permanent redirect or 302 for a temporary redirect.
Please note: via import, you can import to create new line items, but cannot update existing line items. When importing line items with redirects, the import will not update the redirect. To update existing line items you can manually edit the redirect items on redirect dashboard.
Sample import files for Bulk Redirect
- Bulk Redirect File Example: CSV
How to Bulk Import Redirects
Once you have your CSV file ready, you can upload it to our tool using the bulk update feature. The tool will guide you through the process of linking the expected fields from the CSV to our tool. You'll be able to preview the redirects before you create them, so you can make sure everything looks correct.
- Go to your redirect dashboard (your site + /r/dashboard/redirects)
- Click in Add Button, then Import Redirects
- Upload the CSV file
- Link the csv column to required columns for import (old_url, new_url and code)
- You can preview before to start to process the import
- Next, here will validate your data
- Next, will start the import process
- You are done you can close the importer tool and return to the redirects
The flexibility of our importer tool will allow to generate customs imports example like add prefix depending or other column, for example you have a section column and the URL, maybe you can join or if you don’t have the column, here you can just add code to set that value:
ex: adding code dynamically setting always 301:
the CSV is not including the code, we can add it dynamically like in the example:
ex: Removing Path:
https://mysite.com/old-url, /some/test/url, 301
Get in touch with our support team: email@example.com