SSL Step-by-Step Instructions
This is a quick guide on how you can request a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) certificate for your site. This step is necessary for launching secure sites.
Here's How to Do It
1. Identify the URL you are going to use. This typically takes the format of "www" and the naked domain, but it can also be a subdomain. Examples of what we mean: site.rebelmouse.com, www.site.rebelmouse.com, rebelmouse.com, www.rebelmouse.com.
2. Once your URL is identified, please request a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) through your RebelMouse Account or Project Manager. They will provide you with a wildcard CSR certificate, unless otherwise requested (but note that we can only develop one for either a subdomain or a traditional domain). Wildcard certificates secure a website's URL on an unlimited number of its domains. For example: www.rebelmouse.com, site.rebelmouse.com, and mobile.rebelmouse.com.
3. Once your RebelMouse Account or Project Manager delivers a CSR to you, you need to request an SSL through your certification provider if you haven't already. An example of a provider is GeoTrust, but the request must come from the owner of your domain. The request should be for a wildcard certificate, and it should be delivered to your website administrator's inbox within 48 hours.
4. Once an SSL is received, you need to send the chain and key certification to your RebelMouse Account or Project Manager. They will then deliver it to the RebelMouse Administrative team to upload to our servers so that the site powering your domain is secure.
5. Once completed, your RebelMouse Account or Project Manager will send you DNS instructions. This information is what lets your domain get powered by our domain. Here are sample DNS instructions that we normally send to clients:
<a href="http://www.rebelmouse.com/" target="_blank">http://www.rebelmouse.com/</a> IN CNAME <a href="http://runners-cdn.rebelmouse.com/" target="_blank">http://runners-cdn.rebelmouse.com/</a> <a href="http://rebelmouse.com/" target="_blank">http://rebelmouse.com/</a> IN A 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199