Basements are often found in numerous homes, but they are also a place where flooding may occur. Torrential rains, faulty washing machines or a leaks in the water pipes - all can lead to unwanted water damage. Basement flooding can vary from a few centimeters to a few feet and possibly more. It depends on what is causing the flooding. In any case, you want to remove the water as quickly as possible to reduce the risk of mold growth and further damage to property.

When you go down to the basement, and note that the area is flooded, of course, you can fall into a complete panic. However, there are many options available to reduce the risk of further damage to your property and everything in it. Start with the power, which is usually associated with the basement. No matter what you are using the basement for, you should immediately turn off any electricity to it. Everyone knows that electricity and water do not mix. Remove anything that was not damaged by water. Boxes, photographs, furniture - basically everything that hasn’t seen water damage, should be removed from the area.



When you come back down, bring a towel or cloth. Any smaller items that are slightly damp, but can be saved, should be wiped with a dry cloth before removing them from the basement. Large items that are completely soaked or slightly damp, should be wiped down as much as possible and moved to a dry place where there is good ventilation. Being able to dry completely is very important. The sooner you do this, the lower the risk of mold growth. Remember that not all property can be saved.

Once you have cleared your basement, it’s time to start removing water from it. Slight flooding can be eliminated for an hour or two, but the deeper flooding may take a day or more. Start by removing the water. This can be done with a mop and bucket for small floods, but larger ones may require the participation of your entire family. However, you can also hire water damage repair experts to come in and remove the water as well.

When all the water is removed, wipe the floor down to get rid of the moisture as quickly as possible. As you probably know, water can cause mold growth. In fact, some types of mold can cause serious health consequences, especially if someone in your family is allergic to it. It’s important that you ventilate the room as quickly as possible too.

If you have never experienced flooding, there are some facts which you need to know. Most homeowners’ insurance policies do not cover flooding, unless it was caused by damage to the sewer line. But you can add insurance to your present policy. In most cases, it will cost you a few hundred dollars per year. For more information about water restoration contact your local restoration experts.