Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) – A Very Real And Expanding Health Threat Worldwide
Non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) wasn’t even on our radar screen 30 years ago. Today, it affects as many as 1/3 of Americans and is the leading form of liver disease in the United States.
Worse yet, it shows no signs of slowing down and threatens to overwhelm liver transplant programs in the coming decade.
According to Dr. Michael Curry, a hepatologist at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, about 80% of people with non alcoholic fatty liver disease will not develop a significant form of liver disease. In the other 20%, the condition will progress to non alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and about 20-30% of NASH patients will progress to liver cirrhosis and end stage liver disease.
In the United States that means as many as 6 million people could be looking for liver transplants in the near future.The fatty liver epidemic is a silent, but...Read More