Bleeding ulcers may cause stomach pain; however, more generally the symptoms leave the stomach and enter other locations of the physique. Additionally to heartburn, or acid reflux, probably the most typical symptom of any gastric ulcer, a bleeding ulcer may also trigger abdominal cramping, diarrhea, blood within the stools or perhaps blood in vomit. Blood within the stools or vomit might be vibrant red, or might be dark brown, like coffee grounds. Bleeding Ulcer Treatment is going to rely upon many factors. When the ulcer is caused by an infection from H. pylori, then a round of antibiotics are needed to kill off the bacteria. If an ulcer is caused by overuse of NSAIDs, the physician may suggest discontinuing the medicines and permit the ulcer to completely heal. Another way to treat ulcers is via the use of medications that reduce the quantity of stomach acid. These medications include:
- Acid blockers: Acid blockers or histamine (H-2) blockers reduce the quantity of hydrochloric acid released into the digestive tract. They help relieve pain and promote healing.
- Endoscopy is commonly utilized for treating bleeding ulcers. Endoscopy is really a process that utilizes small device known as endoscope which allows stopping bleeding from ulcer by applying electricity, heat or little slips to coagulate the blood. Surgeon may also administer adrenaline or fibrin glue injections to decrease the risk of rebleeding. This procedure effectively treats bleeding in 90% of patients. Repeated endoscopy might be needed in case that rebleeding happens and the procedure is effective in 70% of individuals.
- Antacid: Mainly prescribed with other medication, antacids help in neutralizing acid currently present in the stomach, supplying relief.
- Surgery is indicated for emergency cases or when other medical treatments like endoscopy or medicines have failed to arrest bleeding. Exploratory surgery is performed in the abdominal region using the wound region exposed. The wound is then closed by cauterizing or clamping the blood vessels.
- Its therapy also includes reduction in smoking and alcohol consumption, and avoidance of excessive use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs may also go a lengthy method to decrease the chances of a bleeding ulcer.